Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Colors of Space


#527
Title: The Colors of Space
Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley
Publisher: Walsworth Publishing
Year: 1988/1963
141 pages

As opposed to Proust, this reminds me of early adolescence in a positive way. I received a few bucks a week for allowance and I'd rush to the bookstore, then stand in delicious agony before the fantasy and science fiction racks, endlessly considering which 1 or 2 paperbacks to get. I'd usually get 2 at $1.50 or $1.75 apiece, go home, read them, and the next day face 6 more days without books. The Colors of Space recalled this experience: I started it on DailyLit, sent for the next installment, sent for the next installment, and before you know it, I was done and started on the second Marion Zimmer Bradley. As to plot and writing, these were also familiar--straightforward space cowboy story, simple plot, no real subplot, resolution, space cowboy becomes a space cowman. Mind you, I'm not complaining. It's like eating a little bag of lemon drops--sweet, familiar, pleasant, and not of great consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment